1 Shrader St, Suite 510
San Francisco, CA 94117
Pain and inflammation (or swelling) are common to most who seek professional medical treatment. At Bay Area Foot Care in San Francisco, we take several approaches to relieving the pain and inflammation that accompany many conditions. One of these treatment options is the Multiwave Locked System Laser, or MLS Laser.
The MLS Laser is a safe and effective non-invasive treatment option used to promote wound healing, reduce inflammation, and even relieve pain. This incredible use of technology functions by converting light into biochemical energy (kind of like photosynthesis).
The MLS Laser stimulates the cells of the affected area, producing a variety of reactions that result in the cells healing themselves from the inside. This is in part to cause a vasodilating effect, which increases blood supply to the affected area. This means an increase to the rate of cellular nutrition, which in turn promotes tissue repair; in other words, the patient heals faster.
The treatment itself is relatively simple in practice. The MLS Laser is fully robotic. It treats at about eight inches from the skin of the affected area and takes 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the area being treated. It is usually done two to three times a week. The process is painless; in fact, most patients state that they felt little to no sensation at all during treatment.
The MLS Laser has the following uses:
- Anti-Inflammatory – The treatment activates the lymphatic drainage system. This allows swollen areas to drain, and as a result, a reduction in the swelling caused by inflammation or bruising can occur.
- Analgesic – The MLS Laser is often used to reduce pain. The treatment blocks pain being transmitted by nerve cells from reaching the brain, which in turn reduces nerve sensitivity. The Laser also stimulates the natural production of pain-killing chemicals in the body, like endorphins and enkephalin. Pain reduction is a side effect of the decrease of inflammation, since less swelling means less pain.
- Accelerated Tissue Repair/Cell Growth – The photons of light enter the treated tissue and accelerate the body’s natural cellular growth and reproduction. The light increases the available energy to the cells, which means they repair faster.
- Vascular Activity Improvement – The Laser light significantly increases the formation of new capillaries in the treated tissue. More capillaries mean greater blood flow to the area.
- Scar Reduction – The MLS Laser reduces the formation of fibrous tissue from cuts, scratches, burns, and surgery, meaning less scar tissue will form.
- Nerve Function Improvement – The laser light speeds up the process of nerve cell reconnection, consequently optimizing muscle healing.
- Wound Healing – Collagen is essential to replacing old tissue or repairing injury to tissue. The MLS Laser stimulates and quickens the production of fibroblasts, which are the building blocks of collagen. This results in faster wound healing.
Though the MLS Laser treatment has a variety of treatment applications, it is important to note that the purpose of the MLS Laser is not to mask symptoms. Instead, it promotes the body’s natural ability to heal, removing the cause of the symptoms altogether.
How does a patient know if the MLS Laser is right for them? The MLS Laser is used to treat a variety of conditions, but in order to determine if the MLS Laser is right for a patient, it is important to consult with a physician.
If you feel that the MLS Laser treatment is of interest to you, make an appointment with a clinician at Bay Area Foot Care in San Francisco and we will help determine if this is a good option for you.